Britain’s biggest builders merchant, Travis Perkins, was the most searched for company in the UK in 2014 by those completing credit reference and company checks, a report has revealed.
Analysis by Creditsafe shows the nationwide builders merchant had 17% more searches than the second placed firm Farnrise Construction Limited, who topped the list last year.
Companies offering construction and infrastructure solutions occupy eight of the 10 places for most searched firms in 2014, which also included Grafton Merchanting GB Limited, who came in 5th on the list.
Travis Perkins plc, which includes brands such as Keyline, Wickes and Tile Giant, benefitted in the last 12 months from increasing new build housing projects, rising mortgage transactions and increased confidence.
Rachel Mainwaring, operations director Creditsafe UK said: “Companies operating in construction and infrastructure are likely to come under particular scrutiny from credit and finance professionals due to the volatility of those industries, which are extremely sensitive to house price movements and large scale public sector investment.
“The research highlights the importance of regularly checking the financial performance of both newly incorporated and seemingly well-established enterprises. Farnrise’s collapse into administration highlights that even firms with a 20 year history with millions of pounds of revenues remain vulnerable to cash flow pressures.”
Top 10 most searched for companies in 2014 and 2013 comparison:
1. Travis Perkins Plc (Up five places);
2. Farnrise Construction Limited (Down one place);
3. Tesco Plc (Up four places);
4. Balfour Beatty Plc (New entry);
5. Grafton Merchanting GB Limited (New entry);
6. Mansell Construction Limited (Down three places);
7. Edmondson Electrical Limited (Up one place);
8. Morgan Sindall Plc (Down three places)
9. Spicers Limited (New entry);
10. Wates Construction Limited (New entry);