Independent builders merchant Carvers is still open for business, despite losing its main depot in a fire last week.
Most of the staff are working from the timber production site based in Neachells Lane, Willenhall where they have been temporarily relocated since the blaze on February 29. The back-up computer servers were based there, so no records have been lost.
Over the next four to six weeks the old depot will be demolished and temporary buildings will be erected at the Littles Lane site to house trade counters and stocks. Carvers employs just under 200 staff between the two depots in the Wolverhampton area.
Council chiefs have pledged support for the company while it rebuilds with offers of temporary premises and space to store its vehicles. The Mayor said he was “shocked and saddened by the fire” and that the council will “offer assistance and do all that we can as a council moving forward”.
Messages of support have been flooding in including DIY SOS’s Nick Knowles who tweeted “Sorry to hear about the fire hope the guys get back on their feet soon” following Carvers donation to the Big Build in Dudley.
At the launch of the Wolverhampton Marathon – which the company sponsors – managing director Henry Carver said: “We have started to put a plan together to move forward. I am just thankful no one was hurt – bricks and mortar can be rebuilt”.
He also thanked the local fire brigades and police force as well as all the staff, including operations director Bryan Purslow who “ensured the evacuation process was followed and that all staff and customers were evacuated immediately”.
Carver also mentioned the people of Wolverhampton, thanking them for all their support and kind words: “From adversity and depression we can do better and create opportunities” , he said.